Thursday, December 14, 2006

I'm scared to count my stash...

Knit Devil inspired a moment of insanity, she counted her stash ball by ball, skein by skein and found she had accumulated 600 balls/skeins in 3 years. Going with her average of 200 balls/skeins a year, that would put me at...800 balls/skeins a year since I've been knitting for at least 4 years. Mind you most of my stash is in storage and inaccessible. Well a few weeks ago I got a bug and actually inventoried 2 of the bins of stash I could access, and well I only got through 2 bins before my stash started blowing my mind, and that was without totals. I pulled those sheets out this morning, did some quick math, and found that in those 2 bins, there are 340 balls/skeins of yarn. I have 10 bins of the same size, 5 smaller bins, a mountain of yarn that I has mysteriously grown since arriving in Seattle. Not to mention the various balls of yarn hidden in boxes used as packing fodder (yarn makes good packing fodder). If I remember right Dad even used several garbage bags full of yarn to make sure my glass cabinet didn't break in the move (it worked, no glass breakage). Oh yeah, there are at least another 50 skeins hiding in my car waiting to work their way quietly into the stash. I can't forget the 200 to 400 hundred balls/skeins that have managed to populate my mothers stash, her stash comes from mine, as she doesn't see a reason to buy yarn when she can get it from me.

Oh my! My stash is like tribbles! I know this won't stop me from buying more yarn, but this post is enough to make me really wonder how much there really is left in my stash, not including what has enhanced mom's stash over the last 4 years. Maybe I'll do a complete count once we've settled into the new house after the New Year.

So I've turned the heels on Bro's socks, and the sweater is progressing, so it's back to sleeve island for me.

2 comments:

Madge said...

Yowza. Righteous stash, dude. (it also fills me with a sense of serenity to know that maybe I don't need my aluminum foil hat...mad fiber disease strikes us all)

Yarn as packing material = hilarious!

mehitabel said...

I think that Madge has a lot to answer for--I've been looking at my stash, and thinking it needs reining in. So, voila, my Yarn Management and Containment project is starting...well, probably not today, but soon.