Monday, March 13, 2006

The fates have intervened

As if all the fiber arts have a hand in weren't enough. I've been dreaming of spinning my own yarn for years, long before I ever started knitting. Now it looks like the Fates are playing a hand in this dream. There was a post to the Stitch N' Bitch LA mailing list about a Louet S17. I responded, thinking well she's in the neighborhood and it can't hurt to look, the price and I were very agreeable.

So I've been emailing back and forth with her, turns out she lives about 2 miles from my place, and actually has to drive by my house to go pretty much everywhere. The long and the short of it all, is that we're going to meet Wednesday (3/15/06) so I can take a first hand look at the spinning wheel, and in all likelihood I will be the proud new owner of a Louet S17 before we part ways.

Here's the pic:


More on this venture will definatly be posted later.

On the knitting front:

Last week DH told me he wanted to go play in the snow. I not a big fan of driving to see snow (it's very cold), but since DH really wanted to do this I agreed. So late Thursday night, I decided I needed mittens for the trip, not just any mittens, but I needed these convertible mittens, which I found the pattern for, late Thurday night. Just so happens I have the perfect yarn for them (imagine that having the right yarn not only on hand, but readily found). So I cast them on. No problems so far. Well I woke up Friday morning and discovered that I had cast on in a one color when I wanted the corrugated ribbing. Rip rip rip. Get home from work, finaly get the corrugated ribbing done, try it on and look at that they were just too big. Broke out the DPN's that were one smaller, and started knitting again.

Now it's 6 or 7, which gives me just about 36 hours to knit these gloves in, so I decided some minor alretations were in order, I wasn't going to knit the fingers. things are going great, but the time I collapsed went to bed late Friday, the left hand wes nearly done. Woke up Saturday and the fingers had been started. Oh well that short cut went out the window. One thing led to another, and DH tells me just as I had cast off the 1st glove that he doesn't want to go anymore. Well lucky me, I just wasted spent an enjoyable evening knitting on this @#%& lovely glove.


Ok so now i have a glove that may or may not ever have a match with a bunch of ends hanging from it. Oh well, I got to knit :) That's the important part, right :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, a wheel! I can hardly wait till she's yours. Maybe once you have mastered her use, you'll let me play? Huh huh?

Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty! I can't wait to see all of your pretty yarn you spin up.